Sunday, January 2, 2011

At the Moment

I want to say thank you to all for your awesome, encouraging response to this blog. It has blessed my heart more than you know!
I wanted to let you know we had an awesome Christmas! Being able to get out of my box, stretching out my heart perimeters to helping Leona and Ennis I was free to give goodies and gifts to my village family even more. I love this time a year cause it makes a way for people to see others. I just pray that I can continue just the same through this new year.
Here is an example of what I'm talking about with me.
I have learned a lot about seeing people, living in our village, listening to Abba and others but it probably didn't hit home as hard as by just watching Leona and Ennis. I was trying to set up our Christmas stockings one day and I had boughten one for Ennis not thinking that Leona needs one. Which obviously she didn't cause she wouldn't even know. But since I was only thinking in a box, the thought of Leona not needing one, I didn't consider that the one who needed it more was Ennis. It struck me when he asked where her's was. Well, I told him I didn't know if it was necessary and he agreed but really it was necessary for him. So I back tracked and bought her one too and I know it made his Christmas more sweeter with her. I just am grateful, though, I'm human and do human stuff God can help me realize what is most important in Life. That is to love with all your heart, everyone, no matter how small the circumstance or what state of being they are in. And I know doing great things isn't what God is after but being a vessel that He can work through for others. I always need reminding of that. Constantly realizing each day that my life has value as well as my neighbor's.
I had started this Blog only on the thought that God has something for me to do and I should share it. I am happy that I can. God has been very great to me and has giving me a WHOLE BUNCH!
Now we are still learning how to take care of Leona. It really hasn't been too hard especially with all the helpers who come each day. The ladies involved are Kitra, Shalom, Tehome, Donna, Chavvah, Yahshanna, and Mary B. The girls helping are Susie, Evelyn, Dalia, Naqah and Nikki. They all do things like give her showers, changes, feedings, reading, taking on walks, and just keeping her company. (Just a side note: Since Nikki has helped, she has become an awesome support and worker for me with her grandma. She has grown more responsible).
I also have Pamela and Rachel who come keep the bathrooms and living room clean for me.
And Hash who has been my secretary and schedule keeper. It has been a blessing to me to have her help! Ashley helped me get the blog going so I could post all this for you.
Thanks to all of you for helping keep her quality of life and allowing Ennis to have her at home so he can also take care of her. It has been a great blessing!!!! I know because he tells me all the time! Of course, I feel the same :)
I do need to express thanks to all the guys who made the changes in the house possible: Quinn and Ben for construction and windows. Yakyn, Danny and Joel for painting. Austin for coming to help. You all were awesome!
She has been changing a lot since they moved here. She now sleeps half a day and roams the rest. She has not been able to step down the front steps as easily as when she first came. She doesn't remember how to stand when she first gets out of bed. She remembers half the time how to use a spoon when she eats. She usually dumps her plate or glass. She sometimes gets confused when to bite her food or to drink her drink. She gets shaky or gets off balance when she walks.
They say that the memory goes first then the motor skills. She hasn't totally lost her motor skills but she is showing signs of it. It's like having sneak previews or windows to the future.
Like this past week, she hasn't been able to stand on her own out of bed. Usually, all I had to do was to pull her up and she would follow. She won't follow me now. We will see though, some times she gets her mind back for a moment to know what to do.

2 comments:

  1. It's awesome to see how our father takes care of those who give themselves to him, giving them so many loving people like yourself to help them when so many are alone in nursing homes.

    And also, even in her weakness, makes her a blessing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what God is doing in and through you, Cheres! ~m Hannah

    ReplyDelete